Ms. Stokes (914)457-4654 Mrs. Gooden(914)400-6302
JANUARY 2018 NEWSLETTER
January 3, 2018
Dear Parent / Guardian:
Best wishes for the New Year. We thank God for His care and His protection over us thus far. It is my prayer that all our plans will become a reality by the end of the school year.
Please be aware of the following:
1. Home and School meeting will be through conference call on Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018.
2. Tuesday, Jan.9 will be our “Retake or Absentee picture day”. If you would like your child’s picture taken over, please send in a note to the teacher along with your photo package. (Please do not send your child to school in gym uniform on that day).
3. Please make note of the following:
a) January 15, school will be closed for Martin Luther King Day.
c) January 22, school will be closed for Pastors/Educators Meeting in Long Island.
d) January 29, school will be closed for teachers’ in-service meeting at School.
4. January 12-19. Grades 3-8 will have Mid-Year exams in the Core subjects. On Friday, January 19, only those who have to make up exams will need to come to school, the rest of grades 3-8 students should stay home. Pre-K to grade 2 students will be functioning on a normal schedule.
5. On December 15 grades 3-8 received the revision topics and pages that will help to prepare them for their exams (you can also print a copy from the school website). Please encourage your child to continue reviewing. Your input and involvement are extremely important for your child’s success. The grades achieved on these exams are strong components of their final grades. Enclosed is the Schedule that will help your child to be better prepared for these examinations. Please make sure that your child’s account is up to date, which means December and January payments should have been paid. If not your child will have to take these exams at a later date, please do not send your child to school.
Local Examination: Grades 3 - 8
|Math||Science||S. Studies||Make up
Make up Exam
- This year we are going to sell tickets on line for the concert. We will print a minimum amount at school for those who send us the money ahead of time. The concert is scheduled for Sunday, April 22, 2018 in order to avoid conflict with the churches’ programs. The cost for the advance tickets will be $10.00 per adult, and $5.00 per child. After April 15, the tickets will be increased by $5.00. Please help the school as we continue to provide the best for your child and all of our students. Here is the project we have in mind: Raise $10,000 to purchase new windows for the kitchen, and upgrade materials for “Robotics/ Engineering” for grades 6-8.
The concert will be at Dewitt Clinton High School 100 W Mosholu Pkway South Bronx, NY 10468.(one block from Bronx HS of Science)
We encourage everyone to purchase online tickets. By doing so, we will save money on the expenses. Tickets can also be purchased at the school. We will have one representative in each constituent church to sell ticket for the concert. We will not send home tickets. Everyone will receive a flyer to advertise to your friends and members of your family. Then you will collect the money, send the money in a sealed envelope with your child’s name written on it to the school, and we will send you your tickets. Those who do not purchase a ticket before the evening of the concert will pay $15.00 at the door.
7. The Spelling Bee competition will begin on Friday, Jan. 26, 2018. The contest will consist of three levels. Level one (1) will be the written section. Students who score 80 % and above will advance to the next level on February 2. The second level will be done orally in the classrooms, and the final level will in the gym with the two top spellers competing for the championship position on Wednesday, February 7. Please continue to prepare your child by practicing with him / her from the list provided on the school website.
8. Grades 4 -8 will be visiting different churches on Sabbath, January 27, 2018. Please mark your calendar as we go to these churches to thank them for their investments in the school. You will receive more information by January 23, 2018.
J. Eric Imbert, Principal